My Cheesy Zucchini Rice recipe is a huge hit in this house. It’s a fantastic side dish that goes with so many things. Last night we had it with garlic and mushroom sausages and tomorrow night we are having it with curried fish stew (I make it stretch across two meals) but you could use it to accompany other meat dishes or even a vegetarian stew.
There is a little secret ingredient in this Cheesy Zucchini Rice dish. Shhh. Don’t tell you kids, but there is cauliflower in it as well. This helps to bulk up the meal and adds in extra veggies. I bet they won’t even notice.
Every time I make this rice recipe, everyone at the table is pleased! It is tasty and just a little bit more exciting than plain rice. It’s a nice change.
So, here’s my recipe:
- 1/2 packet of 40g French Onion Soup mix
- 3 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
- 5 cups water
- Chopped cauliflower - chop either finely or coarsely (add as much as you like)
- 3 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 oz (60g) butter, cubed
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 1/2 cups cheese, grated
- Combine soup mix, rice, water, cauliflower, worcestershire sauce and butter in saucepan.
- Cook on stove until boiling. Leave to boil for 5 min or so, then turn heat off and leave to steam with lid on for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir in the zucchini and grated cheese.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes to warm through.
Now you know that this Cheesy Zucchini Rice is so easy to make, don’t you? If you are going to boil rice anyway, you might as well make this. There is hardly any extra effort involved. That is why I am sharing it with you. Simple recipes like these are just what we need to make our meals extra delicious and special, without spending hours slaving away in the kitchen and washing millions of dishes.
Of course there are variations: You can substitute grated carrot instead of zucchini (or add grated carrot to the zucchini), you can omit the cauliflower or replace the cauliflower with chopped broccoli. You could also add baby spinach leaves to wilt in at the end. I’m sure there are other vegetables you could add to this recipe. Let me know if you modify it and love the changes!
You could turn this Cheesy Zucchini Rice into lunch. After cooking whichever variation you prefer, serve the cooked Cheesy Zucchini Rice into bowls. Complete the meal by adding a fried or poached egg on the top. Yum!