I have called this one “Dinosaur macaroni salad” because I love to use dinosaur shaped pasta in it. You can use whatever shape you like, it really doesn’t matter!
This pasta salad is perfect for those hot summer nights when you want something delicious you can eat in a bowl. Either use it as a side salad (take it to your next barbecue lunch) or use it as the entire meal. I find that it makes enough for one entire meal one night and then as a side salad the next night (for our family). It makes a really big bowl of salad.
Can you see the dinosaurs?
I make this for “Meatless Monday” and it is a huge hit in our house. We will be eating it again this weekend when we get together with family. It’s a perfect salad to make in the warmer months.
In the recipe below you will see hard-boiled eggs on the list of ingredients. When I use this Dinosaur macaroni salad as the entire meal I make the hard-boiled eggs and put them on the top, but when we eat it again the next night as a side salad I don’t replenish the eggs. We like to eat them all on the first night and after that….well…..they are all gone! You can chop the eggs smaller than me and mix them up with everything else, but I like to serve them chopped on top of the salad. You can serve them whichever way you like (or leave them out).
- 500g dinosaur shaped pasta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green/red capsicum
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Cook the dinosaur pasta as directed. Drain and cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients so they are well combined and smooth.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the pasta, celery, carrot, cheese, spinach, capsicum and tomatoes.
- Fold the dressing gently into the pasta salad mixture.
- Top with the hard-boiled eggs (quarter them).
Note: this is better the next day, so prepare the night before if you are organised enough. I’m not usually organised enough so eating it on the spot is great too!
I hope you can put this recipe to good use. It’s another quick and easy staple from my kitchen. Everyone here loves this pasta salad and I’m sure your family will too. Let me know if you love this recipe too.