Tonight’s dinner was garlic lime chicken & creamy rice. This recipe is really simple and the chicken can be either cooked in the oven or in the slow cooker, your choice!
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry ginger
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca (optional)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli & cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 handful baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium jug.
- Place chicken in a slow cooker or oven safe dish.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cook in slow cooker 4-6 hours (on high) or up to 8 hours (on low), or cook in moderate oven for 1 hour with the lid on, then remove the lid and continue cooking in oven for 20 minutes to brown.
- Serve on creamy rice.
- Saute garlic, celery and carrot in butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat until fragrant about 3-4 minutes).
- Add rice and stir to coat in butter. Then add caulflower and broccoli.
- Add water, milk and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a slight simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parmesan cheese, spinach and parsley. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the chicken.
To make things even quicker on the day, you can freeze the sauce and the chicken together. Just make sure you thaw it in the fridge overnight and don’t cook from frozen or harmful bacteria may grow.
You will notice in the recipe that the chicken sauce has the addition of quick cooking tapioca (or sago). I have never seen this in a recipe before but it adds something different to the dish. If you don’t have any tapioca in your pantry or it isn’t your thing, you can simply leave it out.
As you might see in the photos, I have removed the skin from the chicken. This is an optional step. I find it a lot easier to do this with the chicken partly frozen. However, if you love the skin then by all means leave it on and enjoy it!
You can use the chicken thigh pieces as the recipe states, or substitute thigh fillets or breast fillets or drumsticks.
This creamy rice is a really great side dish that goes with so many things. You are going to love it. It is really cheesy and it’s a great way to hide a few veggies.
With only one cup of rice, the veggies make this side dish enough to serve four (with the chicken), but if your family are big eaters you might like to double the recipe.
So you can make the chicken and the rice together as one meal or make them separately with different accompaniments, either way they are delicious! This is another quick and easy meal idea I thought you might like. Make it at your place and tell us how it goes.