This week our Meatless Monday meal was my Healthy Tomato Soup. We love the flavour of this soup so I thought I’d share the recipe with you. I think you will like it too!
This tomato soup recipe has lots of sneaky vegetables which are disguised so nobody will ever know how healthy and nutritious it is (and the kids can’t pick out the green bits!). I think this is a great soup for a cold winter’s night. I like to keep our bodies well so that we can resist any colds and flus that are floating around work and school.
Here is the recipe that I use for this Healthy Tomato Soup:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 broccoli stems, finely chopped
- 1 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pumpkin or sweet potato, diced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tin full of water with 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 100ml cream
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and broccoli stems. Saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet potato or pumpkin, vinegar, stock and water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Blitz with stick blender or in a blender until smooth.
- Return to the stove and add the cream. Stir to combine and warm through.
I like to serve my Healthy Tomato Soup with cheese toasties. Comfort food at it’s best!
The flavour of this soup relies on the natural sweetness of the vegetables so no sugar is added. I find that the chicken stock provides enough salt so I don’t add extra but you might like to taste the soup at the end of cooking and season with salt and pepper if you think it needs it. I like to add a dollop (or two!) of sour cream to serve.
This soup freezes well and is perfect for busy weeknights (take the leftovers to work for lunch the next day). I’ve also added it to my list of possible weekend lunches with last-minute visitors. Make them the cheese toasties to go with it and they’ll think you are a legend – because you are!
Give this Healthy Tomato Soup a go at your place this week. I’m sure you’ll be making this recipe again and again for your tribe.