My youngest daughter has just become a teenager and I thought I would share her 13th birthday with you. Turning thirteen is such an exciting milestone. She was tired of being a “twelvie” and ready to embrace teenagerhood.
In our house, we decided to do something special for our daughters on their 13th birthday: give them a bedroom make-over. Part of the thrill of this is the leadup. There are months of pinning things to Pinterest, cutting pictures from store catalogues and window shopping. We even do a trip or two to Bunnings and drool over the paint sample cards, choosing the perfect colour palette. After colour selection has taken place (this is one of the first steps in the whole process, by the way), we carry around these colours until all the items have been purchased.
Most purchases were online jobs but we did manage to source a couple if items locally. Because of this, we have been slowed down by postage. Some things won’t be added to the room until they have arrived in the post.
Here is a quick list of the items we either modified or added to the room:
- new doona cover & pillowcase
- new throw rug for bed
- new cushion covers added to existing cushion inserts for bed
- new desk lamp
- gold ribbon added to existing bedside lamp
- new window seat (would you believe, this is actually a TV unit from Aldi!)
- new window seat chair pads & cushion
- new desk chair pad to match those on window seat
- new gold & cream storage crates for window seat shelf
- new map of the world in old frame that was lying around (generously donated by my brother!)
The photos below show before and after (cushions for bed and window seat still to come).
Left side is “before” right side is “after”:
So we didn’t paint any walls or add new blinds but we did change the look of the room. It also allows her to change the room again down the track very easily. She’s not locked in to having bright pink walls forever!
She had a great thirteenth birthday. We love her to bits.