I’ve had a couple of goes at these Lime Cashew Noodles recently. This recipe has needed a bit of tweaking but I’ve finally nailed it (according to my girls!). The flavours in the sauce are delicious and the texture of the cashews add another dimension to the dish. I’ve also tried a few different vegetable combinations in my Lime Cashew Noodles in order to come up with this combo, although, as usual, the recipe is flexible in regards to the veggie content.
The best thing about these noodles, other than the texture and flavours, is that it’s really quick to throw together. The chopping of the veggies is the part that takes the longest. The actual cooking part only takes a few minutes. I have had great success at chopping my veggies in advance and even combining all the sauce ingredients in the pan ahead of time, then just coming along and cooking it up. By the time the noodles were done the rest was cooked and ready.
I did find that a little water was required in the pan after the veggies were added to the sauce, otherwise the veggies would stick to the bottom of the pan and be a bit dry. Once a scoop of water was added I placed the lid on the pan so that the veggies could steam. If you want your veggies to be a bit crunchy, like a stir fry, then leave the lid off and add the noodles straight away. You may not need to add any water to the pan in this case.
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 cup cashews (unsalted - but salted work too!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 pkt dried noodles (enough to feed family of four)
- Prepare all the veggies according to the ingredient list above.
- Heat an oiled frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the peanut butter, hoisin sauce, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, lime juice and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add the cashews and stir to coat. Saute for two minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, commence cooking of the noodles.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce in the pan. Stir to combine with the cashews and sauce.
- Add a splash of boiling water, then place lid on pan to allow vegetables to steam and soften.
- When noodles are ready, add them to the vegetable mixture in the pan. Use tongs to gently mix the noodles in until all is lightly coated and heated. Add more water at this point if you want the sauce to be more runny,
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!
This was a super-quick Meatless Monday meal. Add this dish to your menu this week and I hope your family enjoy it as much as we did.
Start thinking about what you will do with all the extra spare time you will have because this meal will not take you long to make!