For dinner last night I made a “One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice” recipe as recommended by Jen (from “How Jen Does It” YouTube channel. You can watch her make it here.) This recipe is by Creme De La Crumb and you can find it to print out from here. That’s where Jen got it from and it’s also where I got it from.
As you know, I only share with you the best recipes. They are the ones I make myself for my family and they are always quick, easy and delicious. This recipe definitely satisfies all the criteria and I know you will love it.
Get the recipe from Creme De La Crumb but feel free to make the changes I added to the original recipe below: (Because you know I had to “improve” it!)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, OR 6 chicken thighs (I used 8 x chicken thigh fillets)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon (I used a lime)
- chopped cilantro or parsley, for garnish
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I omitted this)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for the Spanish seasoning mix. Divide in half and set aside. Cut the lemon (or lime) in half, then thinly slice one half - for garnish - and reserve the other half for juicing later in the recipe.
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, then toss to coat well. Use half of the prepared seasoning mix to rub on both sides of each piece of chicken.
- Drizzle a large skillet with remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and bring to medium heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer to a plate. (It won't be cooked through at this point)
- Add rice, chicken broth, juice from ½ of the lemon, and remaining seasoning mix and stir to combine. Return chicken to the pan on top of the rice. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through. (I put lid on pan and baked for 40 minutes in a moderate oven.)
- Garnish with lemon slices and freshly chopped cilantro or parsley and serve immediately. (I served with steamed vegetables - as you can see.)
Take note of the changes I made to this recipe. I like to use the oven when I can because I can put it in and walk away for a while or chop the veggies and not have to worry about it burning on the stove top.
The comment from my girls when I served this One Pan Spanish Chicken and Rice was all about the rice. The rice is very soft and tasty and seems to rival the chicken in being the star of the dish. It becomes a little bit like risotto rice.
You need to put this one on permanent rotation at your place! Thanks to How Jen Does It and to Creme De La Crumb for this beautiful recipe. Check it out!
If you like this recipe, you need to look at my One-pot curry chicken and rice recipe. It’s another one that is quick and easy for the weeknight crazy time.
I hope you are inspired to cook something nutritious and delicious for your family tonight without spending hours slaving over the hot stove.