We made these quick bread rolls as a side dish (to accompany chicken meatballs) this week. I was amazed at how fast they are to make and the recipe made heaps. They were a huge hit in our house so I thought I would let you in on something good!
I found this recipe years ago and filed it in the “must make” pile of recipes. We only just made it this week and I can’t believe we never made it sooner! These quick bread rolls will now be a regular feature on our table.
I found the recipe over here originally but here it is if you want to make it right now:
- 2 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 160g grated cheese
- 6 slices honey ham, chopped finely
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped finely (I left this out)
- 1 tsp paprika
- twist black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 200 ml water (maybe more)
- Pre heat oven to 200 deg C.
- Add all of the ingredients in to a large bowl, reserving a small amount of cheese to sprinkle on just prior to baking).
- Stir the ingredients together until a dough is formed and add more water if needed.
- Form the dough into a ball shape or into 4 equal balls (or eight equal balls!).
- Place the dough balls on a baking tray and shape into rough, round loaf shapes.
- Slash the tops with a sharp knife 3 times (I forgot to do this bit) and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the tops.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes if you are making just one big loaf. Cooking time reduces if you choose to divide your dough into smaller balls. Eg, if you form 4 balls, bake for around 20 minutes. Bake for 15minutes if you have eight dough balls.
We made 4 dough balls and they were pretty big (they are filling!). They smell and taste amazing straight from the oven with a generous spread of butter. Yum! They are delicious for lunch or as a side dish or accompaniment to soup.
I saved one roll to reheat the next day and see what it was like. After just 10 seconds or so in the microwave, I had a fresh warm bread roll again! So good!
Because these quick bread rolls don’t have any eggs or butter they are a little bit like damper. You could make this bread for camping, put it on your stick and cook it over the camp fire. Your camping friends will be so impressed!
You could make different variations of these quick bread rolls. Next time I will ramp up the herbs by adding oregano and parsley in addition to the paprika. Bacon can be substituted for the ham and different cheeses can be added for extra decadence. Olives would make this bread incredible too.
Make these quick bread rolls for your household immediately! They are quick, easy and super yummy.