This is great recipe for Slow Cooker Roast Chicken that makes the chicken crisp! It’s so moist and such a simple recipe – you will love it.
I saw this on Pinterest ages ago and have used this idea quite a few times. It’s perfect for cooking your chook while you are at work and also good for the summer time when it’s good to have cold chicken on hand. I like using the slow cooker in the summer time because it doesn’t heat up the house like the oven does.
Here’s what you do:
- Get out your slow cooker.
- Scrunch up about 4 lengths of alumnium foil into balls and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker. Use about this much foil:
3. Rinse a whole chicken (around 1 or 1.5kg) inside and out under cold running water.
4. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
5. Place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the crumpled aluminium foil balls. (It is because the chicken is lifted from it’s juices that it gets nice and crisp)
6. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and paprika to taste.
7. Set the slow cooker to High for 1 hour.
8. Then turn the slow cooker down to Low for about 8 to 10 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
9. When it is time to serve, use tongs and a knife to get the chicken out of the slow cooker. Expect it to have crisp skin but still fall apart as you attempt this! This slow cooker roast chicken is so tender, it will literally fall off the bone.
I served mine with crisp roast potatoes and carrots, as well as steamed cauliflower and brocolli. Could serve with salad instead.
The cooked chicken is delicious the next day as sandwich fillings or in a pasta or soup.
Crisp Roast Potatoes – the easy way
I love crisp roast potatoes. This is what I do:
- Wash the potatoes (as many as you like) and remove any eyes or blemishes.
- Chop into quarters or small cubes, whatever you prefer.
- Place in a microwave container with about 1 Tbsp water. Microwave on High for 3 minutes or until just cooked.
- Drain water from container.
- Sprinkle olive oil or vegetable oil over potatoes while still in the container. Place lid on and shake to cover the potatoes in oil and to scuff them up a bit (this helps make crunchy bits).
- Spread potatoes on a greased tray and place in 200°C oven for around 40 minutes or until crisp. Serve!
I hope you try this slow cooker roast chicken recipe idea and let me know if your chicken turned out nice and crisp and fell off the bones!