I have this recipe for Speedy Chocolate Cupcakes in my recipe collection and I have no idea where I got it from. I have hand-written it on a piece of cardboard and I’ve used it many times. It’s an excellent recipe for cupcakes that takes next to no time at all (we love that don’t we?). I’d really love to share this recipe with you.
These cupcakes are quite low in fat and I always cut back the sugar from the 3/4 cup in the recipe to only 1/2 cup. The icing is very sweet, so you can get away with a bit less sugar in the actual cupcakes.
When I made these cupcakes the other day, I used a muffin tin and the recipe made 12 very large, kind of overflowing cakes! Next time I would use a couple silicon molds to make a some extras or even use a smaller, patty cake tin and make more of them. It would probably make around 25 patty cakes….maybe even 30 if you didn’t fill them up as much – they do rise well.
Have a go at this recipe. It’s perfect to make with the kids because all you need is a couple bowls and a fork and spoon (and the ingredients…of course!).
- 2 1/2 cups Self-raising Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup caster sugar (I only use 1/2 cup)
- 1 Tbsp margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line patty pan or muffin pan with papers.
- Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar and make a well in the centre.
- In a smaller bowl, use fork to whisk together margarine, milk and egg. Then add to flour mixture (may need to add extra milk to achieve cake mix consistency).
- Stir gently with metal spoon.
- Spoon into patty cases.
- Bake 15 min or until cooked.
- Leave in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
- Ice with chocolate icing: make an icing with melted butter (around 1 Tbsp), 1 cup of icing sugar (approx) and around 2 Tbsp boiling water (adjust amounts to achieve icing consistency)
You could top these cupcakes with fresh raspberries after you ice them. They keep very well in an airtight container for up to 7 days….good luck with that. Around here they are eaten within about two days.
These speedy chocolate cupcakes are great for school lunches and would also be good for feeding your child’s entire school class when it is their birthday.
Let me know how you go with this recipe. I hope you give it a go and use it as your secret weapon – another super-fast delicious recipe. You can whip up yummy cupcakes within minutes! Wow! They’ll all want to know how you do it. Hee hee hee!