I would like to share my very own TMH Bolognese recipe. I’m sure you have your very own version and I would love to hear about it!
Meanwhile, here is the one we eat in this house. It has been tweaked over many years, but for ages now, the recipe below has been rock solid. It has a secret ingredient……..
When I make TMH Bolognese, I make enough for at least 2 meals. We eat it with spaghetti or made up as a pasta bake (see pic) on the first night. Then I either package it up on its own (see pic again) and freeze it for a rainy day, or turn it into something else the next night, like a lasagne or a risotto. I love having a bolognese sauce batch in the freezer. It doesn’t take long to thaw out in the microwave and cook up some pasta to go with it.
Let me introduce you to the secret ingredient. You probably already know about this trick, but if you don’t, no matter what your bolognese recipe looks like, if you add this ingredient, I guarantee it will be even more delicious. It is Worcestershire Sauce. Very difficult to spell, but very amazing in your bolognese. I always add a splash to my bolognese sauce. Every time.
When my girls were very little and liked to pick chunks of veggies out of it, I would very slightly blend my bolognese sauce with a stick blender, just enough so that they couldn’t recognise anything. I believe in packing in the veggie content.
Well, here is the recipe I use for my famous TMH Bolognese sauce (well, famous in this house anyway):
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 200g button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg lean beef mince (can substitute turkey mince)
- 1 x 700g jar passata (tomato puree)
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 large carrot (or 2 small), grated on the fine side of the grater
- 1 medium zuchinni, grated on the large side of the grater
- 3 tsp paprika
- 3 Tbps dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce (THE SECRET INGREDIENT)
- Heat 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil in a large pan.
- Add onion, mushrooms and garlic to pan. Saute for a few minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add mince meat and stir until it has browned.
- Add the herbs (paprika, oregano & basil)
- Add the tomato paste. Mix all together.
- Add the grated carrot and zuchinni.
- Add the passata and diced tomatoes.
- Heat until boiling.
- Now add the Worcestershire Sauce. Mix to combine.
- Allow to simmer on the stove, stirring occassionally, until the pasta of your choice has cooked (according to packet directions) and you are ready to serve.
- Serve with grated cheddar cheese and/or Parmesan cheese (some members of our family like both!)
A weakness of mine is to put Promite on my knife and run it through the bolognese while it's hot on my plate. The Promite melts into the sauce and is absolutely amazing. There you go...another secret ingredient!
Wish you could smell how delicious it is. How about you make this your bolognese sauce recipe too if you don’t have one already. And if you do already have a good one, share it with the rest of us!