Over here in Australia, we don’t have Yum Yum Bowls or any sort of Cafe Yumm (they are in the US). So I decided we need something similar – a TMH Yum Yum Bowls recipe. Of course I will probably never know if this recipe resembles the US version or not but that wasn’t really my aim. I was inspired by the concept so I decided we had to make this here.
The concept is very appealing to me because it’s basically a bowl of rice that you add to, depending on what you feel like and have in the kitchen at the time. Apparently you need to have a special sauce so I developed one exclusive to TMH for use with these TMH Yum Yum Bowls.
I prepared this dish in the following order:
2. Cook rice (I used brown rice but you can use whatever you like)
3. Prepare the toppings (the list of possible toppings is endless)
4. Cook the minced beef (I added cabbage this time – totally optional)
5. Poach eggs (one for each bowl)
Everyone in our family loved this dish. I set some aside in a microwave container and took it to work today. I heated it up in the microwave (toppings and all!) and it was just so Yum Yum!
You could make the TMH Super-Quick Yum Yum Sauce in advance (earlier in the day or the day before). Just cover it and store in the fridge. When it comes time to serve just give it another whisk and add a small amount of water if you think it needs it.
- Super-Quick Yum Yum Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp water
- Grated cheese
- Fresh Tomatoes, diced
- Black olives, sliced
- Fresh avocado, sliced
- Sour cream
- 500g beef mince
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- salt & pepper
- Enough eggs for one per bowl.
- Super-Quick Yum Yum Sauce:
- Whisk ingredients in a jug until smooth, adding the water last to control consistency. (At this stage you can cover with cling wrap and store in the fridge until serving time.)
- Cook rice according to packet instructions.
- Prepare the toppings and place in indivual bowls.
- Prepare the Beef:
- Cook beef with garlic in the sesame oil until brown.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Cook for a few minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Poach eggs in egg poacher on the stovetop.
- To serve:
- Divide rice among bowls.
- Make a small well in the centre of each and place a poached egg inside.
- Top with minced beef, then serve so that everyone can add their own toppings.
- Serve with the Super-Quick Yum Yum Sauce.
Give this recipe a try and if you have ever eaten the US version of these bowls, I am curious to know how different this recipe is from the real deal! Leave comments below. I’m pretty sure this is nothing like them……that’s ok!